Our first Tucson convent
This photo is courtesy of Jim, brother to our dear Sister Mary Elizabeth. Jim and his wife, Sue, recently traveled from California to visit Sister Mary Elizabeth at our Tucson, Ariz., community.
Jim took this shot of the Steinfeld Mansion, which was our first home when we arrived in Tucson in 1935. Back then, we purchased the house, its furnishings and 2.5 acres of land for the price of just $26,500.
Sister Dolores wrote in “In Your Midst: The Story of the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration” – “There was not enough room for all (sisters) to have a bedroom, so six sisters had to sleep on the second floor porch over the inside patio for the duration of their stay at 300 North Main Street.”
She added, “The fact that this fledgling monastery was in the heart of the city, unlike Clyde and Mundelein in their rural areas, made it more accessible to people. And from the very beginning people came.”
It is to our delight that while our monastery has moved since, people still flock to our chapel to join us in prayer and friendship. But it’s always nice to remember those early Sisters and how they turned a mansion into a monastery all those years ago.
“This is where our early pioneers lived and adored our dear Lord,” Sister Mary Elizabeth said. “Not far from this area, there are a number of skyscrapers that have been built in the 21st century!”
Tucson has changed and grown over the years, but our adoration of the Blessed Sacrament still remains very strong today.