Our story begins when our founding Benedictine Sisters arrived in Missouri in 1874. By 1881, they had outgrown their residence and laid a foundation of sacred stones for our existing monastery. With foresight and careful attention, the Sisters provided for the needs of the community. More than 130 years later, we proceed in the same manner as we carry out our service of prayer and work in the monastery.
Changing needs of the Congregation and the desire to be responsible stewards of our resources have prompted many changes over the century. We have converted from coal to gas heating and gas lights to electric, replaced antiquated plumbing and installed energy efficient windows and fire safety devices.
There is still much to be done. In order to accommodate the needs of our multi-generational community and our diverse works, modifications must be made. We have fulfilled a portion of our financial goal to complete this project, and we ask that you partner with us so we may see it to fruition. Together we can enhance the foundation our ancestors created and carry our sacred story into the future.